Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Greetings from New Mexico, USA  (Read 98 times)

Treble Maker Carol

Greetings from New Mexico, USA
« on: January 22, 2020, 07:25:18 pm »
I'm a little late to the party. Let me introduce myself.
I've always loved music and singing. I played the flute in middle school band, but was frustrated by my teacher's inability to properly answer my questions. I discovered the ocarina in 2002 after playing the video game The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time and realizing that this is a real instrument! In my web searches I found Mountain Ocarinas, but I was lured into buying a different ocarina by the rival's shiny exterior and smooth glossy surface... only to discover its inferiority in sound.  :-[ Such a let down. For a while I tried making my own with craft clay, a kitchen oven and a metal nail file. I bought several ocarinas and flutes before I remembered Mountain and when I returned, there were no more ocarinas being sold.  :'(  BUT there were plans for a new, innovative, never-been-done-before, pocket flute and I KNEW I had to jump on board! After receiving my CODA (and getting one for each of my daughters), I've had a series of ailments and seasons of busyness driving a wedge between me and my new friend. That's why I'm here. I want to get more involved and get some accountability. I'm excited to really become a part of the CODA family!  ;D

Karl Ahrens

Re: Greetings from New Mexico, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 12:21:10 am »
Hi, Carol, it's great to have you here.  Since we spoke earlier in a riotously funny email exchange ;D, and since you asked for accountability >:(, here's a baby step.  Choose and write down the name of just one song that you can imagine yourself playing in an informal outdoor, Enchant the Forest video.  (Of course, you could choose more than one song, thinking about other videos in the future.)  Starting with that one small commitment, then you can use The Two-Minute Method to learn the chosen song in frequent short sessions.  (Whenever you have two minutes, you can play it once or twice.)

Now, I don't know if the idea of making an informal video to share with this accepting group of people is scary or not.    If it is, by committing to a video and then visualizing yourself doing it over time, you'll find that the fear begins to fade. Also, the more you practice the song, the more confident you'll feel.

I doubt I'm saying anything you don't know, but at least I mean well.  Again, welcome to the forum! 

Treble Maker Carol

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 09:23:43 pm »
Thanks! I think I'll start my baby step with an old standby that I've played on the keyboard, ocarina and pennywhistle... in other words, I'm pretty familiar with it. Lol

Windjammer

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 09:40:00 pm »
That sounds like a plan. ;)

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 11:22:45 pm »
I think I'll start my baby step with an old standby that I've played on the keyboard, ocarina and pennywhistle... in other words, I'm pretty familiar with it. Lol
And the name of the song is...  drum roll, drum roll, drum roll   ??  :)

Windjammer

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 01:23:26 am »

Well Carol, don’t leave us hanging as they say. Karl’s arms are going to get tired doing all that drumming.  ;D

Harp Player

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 11:44:10 am »
Are you the Trebble Maker that I used to see on other forums?

Treble Maker Carol

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 07:50:20 pm »

The song is called Brother. It's from an anime and it's a lovely melody. On my ocarinas, I'm limited to one octave so I have to drop lower at one certain part, but now I can play it "right".  ;)

Treble Maker Carol

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 07:52:54 pm »
Well Carol, don’t leave us hanging as they say. Karl’s arms are going to get tired doing all that drumming.  ;D

I was totally being ornery and waiting til the drumming stopped  :P When Karl reattaches his arms, he can type up a reprimand.  ;D

Treble Maker Carol

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 07:56:09 pm »
Are you the Trebble Maker that I used to see on other forums?

Hello! I haven't been on a forum in many years, but I'm sure I'm not the only Treble maker around here. I'd love to take credit for all that treble... and all that bass... but alas, I'm just one of many.  ;D

Windjammer

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 12:35:00 am »
I forgot to say welcome to the forum Carol! Welcome to the forum Carol.  ;D
I think you’ll fit right in around here.  ;)

Treble Maker Carol

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 01:29:26 pm »
Thank you, Windjammer!  ;D
I feel like I've found my people; my tribe! In other words, I found where all the other smart alecks hang out.   ::) ;) ;D

Musically inclined smart alecks, to be precise!  :P