Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Silencers  (Read 1841 times)

tnelsond

Silencers
« on: May 15, 2019, 11:54:03 am »
Disclaimer: Karl sent me some silencers before they were released.

The silencers are fun. I can watch movies (as long as the movie isn't too loud) while playing, and to my sister it just sounds like I'm blowing into a straw, lol. I've tried my best to be annoying while playing with the silencers in, but I couldn't get anybody to tell me to stop, so they're a success. The best part is how small they are and convenient to install and remove.

Harp Player

Re: Silencers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:52 am »
I just ordered mine.  I look forward to being able to play my coda without ticking off my wife.

Harp Player

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:27:53 am »
My silencers came in the mail today. Sadly I didn't check the mail until right before I left for work so I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Asecan

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:37:29 am »
Silencers, are fragging kidding me? There has been countless times I didn't practice because I think I suck and didn't want others to hear, or my ocarina was just to loud. I hope Karl reads this, incorporating silencers into the design of the Coda is absolute genius! Now it is really a play anywhere instrument. Because I think I suck, I will probably play it with silencers in most of the time, but at least I  will be playing. Absolute fracking genius Karl.

d102

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 07:05:03 pm »
My Coda silencers seem to be currently stuck at Heathrow airport and whilst there are a lot of things there that need silencing, I suspect that they are not going to make a significant difference.

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 01:02:50 pm »
I've tried my best to be annoying while playing with the silencers in, but I couldn't get anybody to tell me to stop, so they're a success.
tnelsond, picturing that made me laugh!

I really enjoy using the Silencers and find them surprisingly useful.  They have become a big deal for me.

Of course, there is the obvious usage. One member of our household works the night shift, and people have different sleep schedules, so the Silencers allow me to play more late in the evening or early in the morning.

Even more importantly, I've become aware of just how shy I feel about practicing new material in front of others. When other people are in earshot, most of us tend to focus on songs that we already play well. (Recently I spoke to a professional musician who struggles with exactly this issue.) It's a little embarrassing to air our dirty laundry notes in public, and we hate to invade the listening space of others with repetitive or disagreeable sounds. For that reason, the Silencers are becoming a real aid to my growth as a musician. I can now play that new air, or jig, or just those 2 tricky measures, to my hearts content, practically wherever or whenever I want, without bothering a soul. It's very stimulating and liberating!

stanof

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:38:21 am »
Do the new "silencers" work in the "old" mountain ocarinas?

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 08:42:41 am »
Do the new "silencers" work in the "old" mountain ocarinas?
Good question. Alas, they do not. I designed them specifically for Coda, so they don't fit other instruments (unless by accident).

bnolsen

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 08:20:23 am »
Had to order these once I got back in the states.  I don't practice so much mostly because the ocarina is just so stinking loud.

Any way these can back back ported to the original MO G ?  Love the portability.  Blowing out everyone's ears?  Not so much.

Windjammer

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 10:14:03 pm »
I ordered the silencers when I ordered Coda. I find them to be quite usefull. :)

VTTrish

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 11:44:42 pm »
I used a bit of a straw for years with my MO's. I was thrilled to see silencers as an option for the Coda. I just ordered the coda and silencers. Can't wait

MikeOR

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 09:09:51 am »
I have found that they are not 100% efficient, especially at the low end of the low chamber 😩

VTTrish

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 09:49:15 am »
Any way these can back back ported to the original MO G ?  Love the portability.  Blowing out everyone's ears?  Not so much.
They can't be used on MOs but on the MO forum there's instructions to make one from a piece of a straw. I used my straw for years. Works great

Windjammer

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 10:26:39 am »
Try adjusting the silencers position a little. A small adjustment sometimes makes a big difference. ;)