Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Duane’s World (A musical journey)  (Read 12217 times)

Windjammer

Re: Duane’s World (A musical journey)
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2019, 11:45:36 pm »
Well in spite of all the technical difficulties ( ME  :-[ ::) ) That I had recording some music. I still plan to make some music videos that I hope people will get some use out of. If nothing else they can look at my videos and see how not to play or record.  :-[ ::)  ;D

Windjammer

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2020, 03:14:11 pm »
I have been watching some videos of Roy Clark and Glen Campbell that has brought back a lot memories and songs to try on my Coda and Harmonica. Those guys were not only good singers but amazing musicians. :)

Harp Player

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2020, 11:23:35 pm »
Here is a video you might get a kick out of.   I saw it posted on a different forum years ago.  I liked it so much I managed to save it to my HD.

Windjammer

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2020, 03:04:10 am »
That is a old video. 1942 wow.  ;D

Windjammer

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2020, 01:53:13 am »
I am making slow and steady progress on playing. I play the Coda more than my triple Ocarina now. I just need to learn how to relax while recording. I guess I need to practice until I don’t have to think about it.  ??? ::)

Treble Maker Carol

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2020, 09:11:55 pm »
Thanks for posting about your journey! Though I feel like I'm reading someone's diary, LOL!  :o
All that you've posted has been very encouraging for me: I'm not the only one fiddling with getting the notes to sound just right, wondering if it's the CODA or just me, getting nervous about recording myself. The reminders to practice and be patient are SO needed!  ;D Thanks again!

Windjammer

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2020, 01:10:38 am »
Thanks Carol. It is always nice to here from someone that has got something useful out of what I write and just to know somebody has actually read some of it. ??? :o :)
I like helping people and interacting in a positive way.
I belonged to the old Mountain Ocarina forum since 2008 and had started visiting in 2007 I believe. But It was years before I actually wrote anything or interacted with anybody. I was getting to know them but they didn’t know me. After my accident I started thinking , how many people where like me and just sat on the sidelines and read everybody else’s posts. There is some amazing people around here.        Like you, and many more I hope to get to know. But I can’t get to know them if they’re just ghosting all the time.  :( ??? ::)

Windjammer

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2020, 02:13:48 am »
Something I want to emphasize to people is to not give up. To keep practicing and pay attention to the details. Like breath , finger placement and instrument placement. It all makes a difference. Also listen to music and musicians. Watch people play and talk to them about music and playing. Finally take Karl up on some of his challenges. I’m hoping to do some recordings soon also and hope to see some of you playing soon. Take advantage of the EDC part of the Coda.  ;) :o ??? ::) 8) ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:32:05 am by Windjammer »

Windjammer

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2020, 05:39:59 pm »
So now that I have got my basic skill level up to a decent level on the Coda. I am trying to concentrate more on the details of my playing. Like accent, flow, color, timbre and timing. Things that affect the feel of the sound and music. In other words playing with more feeling. For some people this comes more naturally than others. If it does not come naturally. I suggest listening to musicians that are known for that. The more you listen, the quicker you will pick it up. Also recording your self will reveal many problems you might not notice otherwise.
Now word of warning about playing in front of people. You can play really well by yourself and get in front of other people even if it is a recording and sound horrible. So that will get better with practice. ??? ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:26:59 am by Windjammer »

Windjammer

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2020, 12:51:09 am »
Being able to skillfully play with feeling is a game changer. Even if you only plan to play for yourself. Feeling the music you are playing is awesome. :)

Windjammer

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2020, 01:35:55 am »
Karl and his crew is really starting to ramp it up around here with lots of helpful information.
Also other members are adding a lot of info to keep it interesting. There is a wealth of songs to learn and it is getting better all the time. I am so glad I started working on my music sight reading again. I never was very good at it. So getting moderately better was relatively easy. But I still have a ways to go.  :)

Windjammer

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2020, 03:01:48 pm »
Now that I’m comfortable with the fingering I am wanting to become more familiar with the alternative fingering of some of the notes. Just like the overlapping notes can help with some songs. The alternative fingering can help with some songs. My goal is to become super familiar with my Coda.  :o ??? ::) If you never allow this to happen it will hinder your skill level with that instrument. You want your fingers to just automatically know where to go. It is the same basic process that we go through when learning a new song. The better we get with this the quicker we can learn new songs well. :)

Windjammer

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2020, 02:43:01 am »
I study this little musical marvel affectionately known as “Coda EDC Flute” and it just amazes me all the thought and care Karl put into this musical instrument. I had pretty much given up on the idea ever coming to fruition. But Karl stuck with it. Thanks Karl.
It has become my go to Ocarina/flute now. The more I play it the better I like it.  ??? 8)
I just hope that someday I can do it justice with my skill level. I think that within a couple of years we will start seeing some amazing performances done with the Coda. Hopefully one of those will be mine ;)

Windjammer

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2020, 03:40:29 am »
Well Karl and ubizmo are really inspiring me to get better with their videos. They seem to always inspire me with their music. I hope they both do a CD. I would buy it. I would love to do some recordings but some things inter fear with that. One is stage fright and the other is I am a perfectionist when it comes to me. Not with other people. Just me. That is a bad combination because the stage fright causes me to make mistakes and my perfectionism doesn’t want to let those mistakes slide. It’s like a vicious circle that I need to get past. I just need to let it go. :o ??? ::) :-\

Harp Player

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2020, 03:08:47 pm »
I understand the quest for perfection, and the feeling that anything else is just not acceptable. I was that way whe I first started playing publicly many years ago.  The one day during the setup time they were playing a CD a classic concert pianist (Brinkman I think was the name).  Right in the middle of his lovely performance of a very intricate piece of music he had a glaring error, he paused for about 1/2 a beat then went on  with the rest of the song.   Something like that could have been easily edited to make is sound flawless yet it was left in there.  After I heard it I realized that even the best of musicians make mistakes, and most of the time the only people that notice them are the musician.  I even asked the person who owned the CD about the mistake and she didn't even catch it.     

It is true that we should strive to improve and never be satisfied with where we are, but we also need to accept the fact that we are only human just like all musicians.