Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Learning to read music...  (Read 748 times)

Antropy

Learning to read music...
« on: August 09, 2019, 02:56:52 pm »
Hi there, I just got my CODA EDC!  I opened the CODA book and was reading through the introductory pages, where it says something like "If you don't know how to read music, this book will not be especially helpful for you.  Contact us for suggestions."  I don't know how to read music, really, so I thought I'd post a request on the forum instead of writing an email directly for the suggestions or information available.  I *have* searched the internet, but there's a lot of less useful stuff to sift through before you find the gems.
Thanks for any help you can give.  =)

Wendi

Re: Learning to read music...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:07:07 pm »
Do you have a tablet? I was helping someone with this a few weeks ago and we found some great apps that help you learn to read music, and they have little tutorials, activities, and even arcade-like games to help you practice.  There's a series of them, and although you can only access some of the content for free, they're only $5 and totally worth it, I think.  I know how to read music but I bought them as a refresher (one is on music reading, one is on ear training, and the other is on rhythm) plus I actually have trouble recognizing notes and intervals when I hear them so I wanted to practice that more (which is odd maybe, I can pick out a song ok on an instrument without having the music to read).  Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to apps and such here, so message me privately if you want to.  Or if it's OK to post them here, I will, someone just let me know if that's OK.

Windjammer

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 08:34:12 pm »
Hey guys. Also check out a thread I started a few weeks ago in titled “some apps that might help someone with their music”.   :) ;) ;D

Wendi

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 07:30:53 pm »
Antropy, I replied to that post that Windjammer is referring to, you can find it here (if I copied that link correctly): https://codaedc.com/forum/index.php?topic=195.msg1001#msg1001
:)

Harp Player

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 12:01:01 am »
Antropy,

Karl offers a method book (with CD's) on the Mountain Ocarina site.  It is excellent and will teach you much of what you need to know about playing music.

VTTrish

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 03:48:33 pm »
I agree with Harp Player. I got the "Learning to play Mountain Ocarinas" curriculum and cds years ago with my MO. Written for beginners, but it's also a good refresher for those who arent.