Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Coda update  (Read 1388 times)

MikeOR

Coda update
« on: August 01, 2019, 03:29:41 pm »
After a week trying out my new toy I can say that I am reasonably au fait with the lower octave. However, I find that maintaining concert pitch takes quite a bit more air compared to my other ocarinas. I have a big range including two Budrio models, a range of Langley pendants, a good quality double oc, and a Mountain C, all of which are no problem. Finally, up to now, I have been unable to have much success with the Coda upper chamber; despite many attempts, I can't even produce a consistent scale. What am I likely to be doing wrong - it's very frustrating.

Windjammer

Re: Coda update
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 07:24:30 pm »
Most people over blow because a lot of the Ocarinas out there have a breath curve that increases as you go up the scale. The other most common mistake is air leaks around the fingers. What happens is people think sense they are doing well on the lower chamber that they have the fingering down pat. But their only half way there. If your playing the lower chamber well that means you are sealing the outside set of tone holes well. Now you need to work on sealing the inside set of tone holes for the upper chamber. ??? ;)
When I first started playing Coda I did not know this either.  :(

MikeOR

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 04:31:59 am »
I'm afraid I still don't get the "outer and inner tone holes" thing. Unless I fully cover both sets of holes the lower octave doesn't work either

Windjammer

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 11:02:36 am »
It is like an illusion in a way. Because it is so hard to seal just one of each pair of tone holes. It seems like they all need to be sealed. But they don’t. I just tried it again to triple check myself and I can make the lower chamber sound fine. ??? 8)
It was never intended to be played that way but it works. The inside set of the paired holes is even harder to play that way. :o :( I think that is why Karl doesn’t say much about it.
He doesn’t want to overwhelm people with info that is not necessarily needed to play the instrument. As long as you treat the paired holes as one hole. You will get the feel for it eventually. Like you did for the lower chamber. 8)

MikeOR

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 02:10:10 pm »
Why didn't Karl just make 8 single holes, which would be so much easier than the doubles?

Windjammer

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 04:26:33 pm »
Because that is the only way to add an octave and not add more holes or mechanical valves like modern flutes do. This way it is lighter and has no moving parts to break down over time. ;) I know it is a bit of a pain right now but it won’t be long before you will be covering both set pairs of holes without even thinking about it. :)  You will be thinking “why did I have such a hard time before”. It is so easy now. 8)

VTTrish

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 03:33:23 pm »
Until reading this thread I didn't know there was any option besides treating them as 1 hole :)

Windjammer

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 11:26:58 am »
It really isn’t much of a option and there isn’t much to gain from it with the exception of being aware of which holes affect each chamber.  :)