Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Coda Christmas Carols  (Read 1459 times)

Wendi

Coda Christmas Carols
« on: November 15, 2019, 07:45:53 pm »
Woot!!  Thanks so much, Karl!
https://codaedc.com/coda-carols/

I love having them in different keys - great for practice!  Thanks again!  :)

laharl666

Re: Coda Christmas Carols
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 03:24:49 am »
good work!!
it's a nice gift! :-)
Thank you very much!!!

Harp Player

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 10:32:32 am »
Thanks Karl.

Windjammer

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 12:27:44 pm »
Wow! You guys have been busy since last time I looked. There were only 20 carols,I think,the other day.  ??? :o :)
Thanks Karl and anybody that helped with this. :)
I am counting 59 carols right now. :) Very cool.  8)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 12:41:08 pm by Windjammer »

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:22:10 pm »
You are all very welcome!  I just had an enjoyable carol playing session.  I find the different keys very engaging -- I don't want to leave a carol until I have played all the keys.

By the way, be sure to let me know if you find mistakes in the Carols.  It was such a big job that it's hard to catch them all. For instance, just a few minutes ago I playing "Christmas is Coming" and noticed that we put quarter notes instead of eighth notes in a couple of measures.  Oops! Any feedback like that would be a big help.  Thanks!

Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 12:30:23 am »
To be honest with you, I have been playing some of those songs by ear on the Harmonica for so long  I wouldn't know if you made mistakes or not.

There are also several I am not familiar with.  It may be a regional or cultural thing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:56:27 pm by Harp Player »

Windjammer

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 11:33:09 am »
To be honest with you, I have been playing some of those songs by ear on the Harmonica for so long  I wouldn't know if you made mistakes or not.

Their are also several I am not familiar with.  It may be a regional or cultural thing.

Yeah this is a problem I still have even though I can read sheet music I’m so used to playing by ear that sometimes I just kick into playing the music by ear without looking at the individual notes on the sheet music. They say you use two different parts of your brain when you’re playing music by ear or playing by sheet music. It’s good to train both parts of your brain to be able to do that but I still have trouble switching back-and-forth sometimes. :( ??? ::)

Harp Player

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 11:28:54 pm »
That is the exact problem I have when trying to play with sheets.  I will look at the sheets for the first few notes, then something clicks and the song just flows out of me.

Wendi

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 11:04:07 am »
That's all completely normal.. when you play a song that you've been practicing for a long time or that you're really familiar with, you eventually don't need the sheet music or depend on it much less (which is really what you're supposed to do).  The benefit is that when you're comfortable enough to not have to rely on the sheet music, you can allow your own feelings and interpretation of the piece kick in.  It's part of the joy not only for the musician but also for the listener.  I love to listen to the Sibelius violin concerto played by Sarah Chang and then by Julia Fischer - two very different versions of the same amazing piece of music.  It wouldn't be the same if they just played the notes on the page.
When I was a kid I would play a piece over and over and over again until I didn't need the sheet music, and then I could just play and FEEL what I was playing and not think about reading the notes, and it would sound totally different.

Harp Player

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 12:10:09 am »
It goes beyond that with me. It can be a song that I used to sing 20+ years ago, but never played.  I get started and the song just flows out of me.

I haven't looked at sheets when I play my harmonica in many years, even with songs I am not familiar with  I will listen to the first couple of measures and join in.

Windjammer

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 08:43:58 pm »
I play a new song 2 or 3 times then I start playing by ear instead of sight. I have to force myself to follow the notes on the sheet.  ??? ::)

Harp Player

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 11:02:20 pm »
I play a new song 2 or 3 times then I start playing by ear instead of sight. I have to force myself to follow the notes on the sheet.  ??? ::)

You are about there then.  It took me a while to develop my ear.  Even after I did develop it I kept the music in front of me as a crutch for about 6 months.