Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Is My CODA Broken?  (Read 133 times)

oldcoyote

Is My CODA Broken?
« on: January 01, 2020, 08:52:32 am »
After a lot of experimentation and a couple tuners, it appears that what should be B on the upper chamber (all holes covered) is actually C.  And C is D.  Etc.  This doesn't seem to line up with what is on the fingering charts.  Anyone else notice this?

Stefan

Re: Is My CODA Broken?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 04:24:12 pm »
Hi! Generally when the notes sound sharp, it's because on two reasons:
1) The blowing pressure is too high
2) The holes aren't completely covered

My suggestion to figure out if everything's ok, is that you start on the highest note (the high C on the second chamber) with all holes uncovered, and blowing really soft. If you're flat, then blow a little harder until you get the correct pitch. Then when you have that note correctly and you know how much blowing pressure you should be doing, you start descending the scale covering one hole. If you're too flat then it's probably because you aren't covering completely that hole, and you can start adjusting your grip until you get it right. And then you go down, one by one, hopefully completing the scale correctly until that low B on that chamber.

At first when I got my CODA I had this same problem, and that technique helped me realize how should I cover properly the holes, and what was the proper breath pressure.

I hope this helps!