Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Join me! And together we can… Enchant the Forest  (Read 2185 times)

Karl Ahrens

Join me! And together we can… Enchant the Forest
« on: January 16, 2020, 03:39:38 pm »
Join me!  And together we can… Enchant the Forest

Do you want to grow as a musician -- and maybe even inspire others to do the same?

If so, I have a mission for you.  And it is this: Enchant the Forest.  I’ll explain what I mean by that in a moment, but first…

Where does the name Enchant the Forest come from?

I’ve always loved the outdoors, so when it was time for us to move several years ago, one of my criteria was that we find a house bordering on woodland trails like our previous house. Well, our chosen new/old house had some beautiful woods out back but no real trails. So, I got right to work clearing and blazing my own, incorporating a few old motorcycle tracks and deer runs when they were headed my way. The result is a nice forest circuit right out our back door for trail running, walking, thinking, praying… 

Now, there’s a cathedral-like pine grove out there, towering above a needle-carpeted forest floor.  My wife Susan started calling that peaceful place The Enchanted Forest, and it’s where I often go to play Coda. Since others have made me aware of the haunting beauty of a flute sound wafting and soaring on a forest breeze, I began to view playing Coda out there as Enchanting the Forest.  Those thoughts eventually crystallized into a decision: whenever I am out in nature, I always enchant the forest by playing Coda for a bit. That simple goal, now a habit, has helped me to grow as a musician and do more of what I love.  So I thought of you.

How can we Enchant the Forest together?

Well, I suppose you could drop by, but that might be sort of inconvenient, so let’s do it by video instead. How?
  • 1st, learn a song well on Coda.
  • 2nd, go to a beautiful, outdoor setting (or some other interesting place) and make a simple cell phone video of you playing the song.
  • 3rd, share your video with the rest of us. (If you don’t know how, we’ll show you.)
The goal is to encourage and inspire us all to start recording our own relaxed ETF (Enchant the Forest) videos, which we’ll share with one another here on the forum (or on Youtube & Facebook).

Here are a few simple decisions that will help you follow through:

• The 10-Song Challenge: Make a written list of at least 10 beautiful songs that you will learn on Coda in the coming months.  Your goal is to learn to play those songs confidently by heart so that you won’t feel shy about making a short video or being overheard playing in public. Bit by bit, you’ll be adding songs to your confident, play-anytime repertoire.
  • The 10-Location Challenge: Make a written list of at least 10 locations outside of your home where you can make a simple ETF video. You know, this is a great opportunity for us to finally plan adventures to some of those special nearby places that we never seem to get to.
  • Optional - The Enchant the Forest Challenge: Like me, aim to Enchant the Forest by playing Coda a bit whenever you are out and about in nature.
  • Optional - The 10-Dollar Challenge: Send Karl 10 bucks every time you make a video.
  • Coming Soon - The Song of the Month Challenge: We’ll choose a song for each month that we can all learn together.  At the end of the month, we’ll share our videos.

What is this like?

Making short ETF videos is along the lines of activities like geocaching, trail running, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, and canoeing. It provides a challenging mission and an opportunity to get out and enjoy nature. So use it to plan or add a spark to outdoor adventures. Make it a fun part of family trips, etc.  (Seriously, if you practice ahead of time, it only takes a couple of minutes to make a relaxed ETF video.)

Why make ETF videos? How will it help us grow as musicians?

• When you have a specific goal --or audience-- in mind, you tend to practice more.
  • It uses the power of IF/THEN PLANNING.
  • It will help you develop a repertoire of songs you know by heart, which makes playing anytime, anywhere a blast! You feel like a real musician when you’re ready to play anytime, for anyone, at the drop of a hat. (If you’re a relative beginner, we can suggest lots of lovely songs that are beginner friendly.)
  • You’ll be inspired by the efforts of others and encouraged by their feedback. And they’ll be encouraged by you.
  • Finally, making relaxed outdoor videos is tons less pressure than trying to make “studio-quality” recordings. Nonetheless, it starts the snowball rolling down the hill.  Once you start sharing your music in little ways, it’s more likely that you’ll go on to find other ways to serve with your music.

Does it have to be the forest?

No, Enchant the Forest is a metaphor for playing Coda when you venture out into the world. Depending on where life takes you, it could be on a city sidewalk, in a park, a desert canyon, by the ocean, on a lonely ridgetop... The idea is to take music beyond the four walls of your practice room, so it definitely involves getting out of the house. Nothing super risky.  No laying on railroad tracks... or dangling over abysses (unless safely strapped in). ;)

What do you need to make Enchant the Forest videos?  (Hint: Not much!)

• Coda (I mean, let’s not take him for granted!)
  • A smartphone with camera
  • A friend to hold the camera, or perhaps....
    • An inexpensive, lightweight tripod (about $15)
    • A tripod phone holder  (about $7)
    • Perhaps a backpack to carry your lightweight tripod
    • Or you can prop your phone against the closest tree

One Final Tip:
If you are too close to your phone mic, you’ll likely cause fuzziness, distortion, or clipping. Feel free to experiment, but I get a nice sound outdoors playing about 8 or 10 feet (2.5 to 3 meters) from the camera. Zoom in a little if you need to.

So, anyone else want to go out and Enchant the Forest?
  If so, maybe you’ll share song list ideas, your location list, etc.  I look forward to seeing your videos!  Stay tuned for mine.

--Karl

P.S.   HERE’S a link to some Enchant the Forest videos so far on Youtube.

In addition, all of our ETF videos will live HERE within the Coda EDC Flute forum.

Oh, and here's me playing Coda this past Summer out on our trail in the Enchanted Forest: https://ibb.co/w4PdMJK
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:45:41 pm by Karl Ahrens »

Windjammer

Re: Join me! And together we can… Enchant the Forest
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 02:58:09 am »
Well this is kind of what I had in mind anyway. So I’m game. I will try to learn some songs well enough to record. I can play 30 or 40 songs ok. I just need to get better at 10 of them. That sounds doable.  ??? ;) ;D

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 09:58:27 pm »
Sounds good, Windjammer!  I've got a busy day tomorrow, but I'm going to try to make a video playing Danny Boy.  Snow is in the forecast...   Anyone else out there want to join us?

Harp Player

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:23:25 pm »
I don't get to play  my CODA much because of my wife screaming at me about the noise levels (mostly the upper chamber).  But I will try to make a recording or two this year.  I love my CODA but all you married guys know the saying "If mama ain't happy.....".

Windjammer

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 06:23:04 pm »
I don't get to play  my CODA much because of my wife screaming at me about the noise levels (mostly the upper chamber).  But I will try to make a recording or two this year.  I love my CODA but all you married guys know the saying "If mama ain't happy.....".

I would say my wife is the single most limiting factor I have when it comes to practice. But she will tolerate me practicing some. That is one good thing about the Coda EDC ( Every Day Carry ). I play a lot in the car waiting for people. Sometimes I will go out to the car and practice in my driveway. ??? ::) :)

Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 09:00:38 pm »
Playing in the car is not a bad idea, but it is too loud for me when I do that.

Windjammer

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 11:01:39 pm »
Playing in the car is not a bad idea, but it is too loud for me when I do that.

I use ear plugs that limit the loudness sometimes. They help a lot when in a car or other small areas. They are usually called music or musician ear plugs.

CODAina

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 09:33:35 am »
Hi Mr Karl!  You and Ms Susan are living precisely in what I am looking for in my future retirement home.  My zillow searches are always for homes near national state forests....but my Enchanted Forest must be  South...no swimming in frozen creeks for me!  As for the challenge... I'm all in! 8)
(Optional: The 10-Dollar Challenge: Send Karl 10 bucks every time you make a video..... OMG LOL  ;D ;D ;D)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:48:04 am by CODAina »

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 03:02:27 pm »
I'm encouraged that a few of you are in so far!  To those of you new to this thread, I'd really appreciate it if you'd read the original post.   I know the post is long, but I really believe this Enchant the Forest idea could help many of us to GROW MUSICALLY (and enjoy sharing together). I play a lot of songs, but as soon as I think about recording a song outside, I get more serious about practicing it and making it my own so that I'll feel relaxed when I make the video.  Each time I do that, I have one more song in my confident, play-anytime repertoire.

Well, we had a morning of snow removal, but I just got away for a bit to do an Enchant the Forest video.  As you can see, low tech, nothing fancy.  The main thing is that I got out there and did it.  And it was fun.  Windy, but absolutely beautiful out in the woods today.   Now all I have to do is figure out a home for our (yours and mine) Enchant the Forest videos -- a place where they can live on the web.

For now, here's a link to Danny Boy:

Hi Mr Karl!  You and Ms Susan are living precisely in what I am looking for in my future retirement home.  My zillow searches are always for homes near national state forests....but my Enchanted Forest must be  South...no swimming in frozen creeks for me!  As for the challenge... I'm all in! 8)
(Optional: The 10-Dollar Challenge: Send Karl 10 bucks every time you make a video..... OMG LOL  ;D ;D ;D)
Codaina, I'm thrilled that you're in, but I was dead serious about the 10 bucks. That's my retirement plan. ;) Susan and I have family in rural Georgia.  We'll keep an eye out for your retirement home when we're there, but I think ya'll are a bit young to be talking about retirement.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:24:44 pm by Karl Ahrens »

Windjammer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 07:06:03 pm »
HEY KARL IT SAYS I NEED PERMISSION TO ACCESS THE VIDEO.  :)

Harp Player

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 07:56:21 pm »
Great job Karl.  Your video not only shows the true play anywhere nature of the CODA, but how nice it sounds as well.

CODAina

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 09:15:32 am »
I just watch your video....what a beautiful melody Mr Karl!  Yeap....looking in SC or GA!  Im not a fossil yet but am in the jurassic 50s league already  ;D

Hey Roderick if you are reading...Got myself an Asus Tuf....not that I play games at all but if I am going to record videos/music the specs on this baby are muy buenos  :D to do just that!   

Have a good day you all!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:47:35 am by CODAina »

Windjammer

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 11:01:00 am »
Good job Karl. The video sounded good and looked really good too.  :)
Well CODAina, sounds like we are in the same age group. That just reminded me I have a birthday coming up on the 24th. Wow another year older.  ??? :o :( ::)

CODAina

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 11:08:08 am »
Let me be the 1st one to wish you a happy bday Windjammer!  It goes fast for sure... life is short so CODA on! ;D

Windjammer

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 02:57:57 pm »
Let me be the 1st one to wish you a happy bday Windjammer!  It goes fast for sure... life is short so CODA on! ;D

Thanks CODAina. Yes it goes by way to fast.  :( ;D