Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Carolan's Welcome  (Read 1179 times)

ubizmo

Carolan's Welcome
« on: June 18, 2019, 06:52:31 pm »
After much tinkering, I managed to get a very brief video out. I went outside, hoping for better audio, but it wasn't happening. I used Audacity to reduce the hot notes but it's still poor. Sync was a struggle, and I just about have up on it but decided poor was better than nothing.

https://youtu.be/1pHaNmWAd64

tnelsond

Re: Carolan's Welcome
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 08:31:09 pm »
Yeah some of the audio is clipped, but it's not too bad. Your tone and playing are excellent.

I really ought to put out some videos since there's not many videos of the coda on YouTube. I could corner the market, lol.

Windjammer

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:41:39 pm »
Hey ubizmo! I was wondering if you were going to do any more recordings I really missed your recordings.It has been a long time. :-\
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:08:55 pm by Windjammer »

ubizmo

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:07:47 pm »
I bought a Zoom H1n recorder and experimented with it a bit today. It seems to work pretty well with Coda, so I'm going to see how that goes. I had used a different portable recorder on the past, but that seems to have failed over the years. But the Zoom should do the trick.

As for the video quality, I don't care so much about that. I have a basic camcorder. It's good enough. I'd just use still photos but I know that some viewers like to watch the fingering.

I don't know whether I'll go back to doing pop songs with backing tracks. Maybe a few, if I think of anything that moves me. At the moment I feel more like playing unaccompanied, so people can get ideas about how that goes

Windjammer

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 08:05:53 pm »
I like both methods and hope you do both. I wouldn’t mind if you redid some of your old recordings either. You picked some awesome songs. :D
I want to do some recordings also but I still got some work to do on my playing. ::)

ubizmo

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 03:56:47 pm »
I wouldn’t mind if you redid some of your old recordings either.

I'm thinking about doing that. Many (most) of those older recordings are pretty bad, both technically and musically. Not only that, backing tracks are much improved since then. One of the first ones I did, about ten years ago now, was "When a Man Loves a Woman." The backing track was horrendous, but it was all I could find at the time. Today, there are some fairly decent tracks out there.

I also think I'm a better player. For one thing, I used to feel like I needed to be playing all the time, to fill the available time with notes. This is a bad musical idea when playing with accompaniment, although more necessary when unaccompanied. Since I wasn't really used to playing with accompaniment, I just didn't understand that. It's generally a good idea to step back and let the accompaniment roll from time to time. A lot of my recordings, especially the oldest ones, really need this.

Also, with Coda I can come closer to the key that a song was written in. Sometimes that helps. "When a Man Loves a Woman" was written in Db, and there's no way I'd play it in that key, but dropping it down a semitone to C doesn't do any damage.

Windjammer

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 05:18:46 pm »
That would be awesome ubizmo !!! ;D You did some songs I really like that sound awesome with the ocarina. ;)

Windjammer

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 08:04:00 pm »
Hey ubizmo, how is those videos coming? No pressure or anything.  :)
A few weeks ago I went through all of your old videos again and was thinking how I miss you making them. :(

Anna

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 12:56:04 am »
I'd love to see more videos, your playing was inspiring and helpful as well. It made me pick up my MO's much more often. I'm happy with or without backing tracks, but at the moment, I'd rather see more without, it helps me learn better. I'm still struggling with getting the upper chamber to sound good. I can make the notes, but tone is lacking. Any tips would be welcome!

Windjammer

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 01:34:35 am »
We should start seeing videos any moment now.  ??? ;) :( ::)