Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Blocking lefthand thumbhole  (Read 164 times)

MikeOR

Blocking lefthand thumbhole
« on: May 31, 2020, 06:07:26 am »
I have been having trouble with a sore left thumb, caused by the size of the hole. After consulting the Fingering chart, I decided that the left thumb was virtually redundant (not really needed), so I have taped over the hole. I find this much more comfortable 😎

Windjammer

Re: Blocking lefthand thumbhole
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 01:18:25 pm »
That is a interesting solution Mike. I have had my left thumb get sore when I first started playing. That is an advantage of have overlapping notes on the chambers. But my solution was a little less creative. I discovered that I was squeezing the tone hole way harder than I needed to and that over time my thumb would build up the skin like when I played guitar. I had also thought of something like a whittler’s thimble Made out of leather. For people that don’t know what that is. It is like a leather sleeve or sock that slides over your fingers or thumb. But if that works for you. It is something I had not thought of. Some songs might get a little tricky to play though on the switch. :)

MikeOR

Re: Blocking lefthand thumbhole
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 03:30:37 am »
If you checkout the Fingering chart the left thumb is only opened twice throughout the entire range, and both times the note is covered by alternative fingering.i also play a Roland Aerophone, which has many alternative fingerings through a 3 octave + range. I generally use just one option 😎