Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: General Discussion?  (Read 2107 times)

Armisis Aieoln

General Discussion?
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:16:32 am »
Is this forum for CODA General or General, if it is General topic then what's the difference between this forum and the Off-Topic forum please? Just trying to figure out what goes where.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave

ubizmo

Re: General Discussion?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 02:29:06 pm »
Is this forum for CODA General or General, if it is General topic then what's the difference between this forum and the Off-Topic forum please? Just trying to figure out what goes where.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave, good to see you again! I think the idea is that this is for general Coda-related discussion, Q&A, and so on, as opposed to the more personal topics in Introductions and Musical Journey. But not for chili recipes, which should go in Off-Topic. Unless you drop Coda into the chili, I suppose.

We may hope that, as people buy Coda and start playing it, they'll have things to say, questions to ask, and so on. Personally, I think it's a good idea to keep the number of sub-forums pretty small.

Zero

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 09:06:42 am »
On the subject of dropping Codas into chili, anybody know yet whether the Coda is as tough as the poly Mountain Ocarina? I know it's sturdy enough to get sat on and take some knocks, but I'd like to know whether I can freely abuse it as much as the poly (which I would have very little fear about dropping into a crock pot, other than the trouble to rinse it out.)

Really excited to get my Coda. When I realised it was a double-chamber ocarina with the same fingering for both chambers, I remember saying out loud to my computer screen, "How the heck did they do that!? That's so frikkin cool!"

ubizmo

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 12:33:21 pm »
On the subject of dropping Codas into chili, anybody know yet whether the Coda is as tough as the poly Mountain Ocarina? I know it's sturdy enough to get sat on and take some knocks, but I'd like to know whether I can freely abuse it as much as the poly (which I would have very little fear about dropping into a crock pot, other than the trouble to rinse it out.)

I'll let Karl give the definitive answer to that, but my personal assessment is that the answer is no, it's not quite as indestructible as the poly (or other) MOs. The reason, as I see it, is this: There is more internal structure to Coda, including a few places where walls are somewhat thin. Consequently, if you were to step on it, on a hard surface, or otherwise put a lot of pressure on it, there are places where it could break.

That said, I think Coda is easily able to withstand the normal knocks and drops that can happen to things we carry with us. I say that with high confidence because I've had prototypes in much the same material for quite a while now, and I always have one with me. I've had it fall out of a pocket onto the street, onto the tile floor in the YMCA, and so forth. I've washed it out multiple times and dropped it some more. It really is very durable but I wouldn't subject it to some of the "crash test" abuse that the MOs got.

I haven't tried washing it in scalding hot water either. Just as a matter of common sense I wouldn't put a musical instrument through anything that might affect its tuning. Again, Karl can give the definitive answer on this.

JoelTucker

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:34:02 pm »
It seems to be very durable -- but you might need a firehose to rinse the chili out!

Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 05:10:43 pm »

Really excited to get my Coda. When I realised it was a double-chamber ocarina with the same fingering for both chambers, I remember saying out loud to my computer screen, "How the heck did they do that!? That's so frikkin cool!"

The chili I like would melt a plastic ocarina, just like it does plastic spoons.

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 07:31:41 pm »
Hi, Zero, good question. The answers so far are great, but I'll add my two cents.

When testing the ultrasonic welding, I have pounded several Codas hard against the concrete (repeatedly: bang, bang, bang, bang, bang...) to break them open so I could test the weld strength. On a few occasions, I have whipped a Coda against a concrete floor a couple of times. They bounced and still played fine. They're not easy to  break.  In fact, I quickly gave up the slam-it-against-the-concrete method of opening them up in favor of sawing them in half 1st so I could cut them with clippers and rip the parts apart with pliers.

Are they as tough as our poly-Gs? I'm not sure. The poly-Gs are so narrow, solid, and compact. However, I designed Coda to be tough enough for everyday carry, and it definitely is. For probably the last year, I've been carrying one most of the time via the Coda clip. No injuries to the flute yet. As I go running, to the grocery store, work around the shop, etc., I'm not a bit worried about damaging it. The foodsafe plastic resin is also very tough.

With that said, I don't want to over state my case either. If common sense whispers in your ear that maybe you shouldn't toss Coda into a boiling pot of gut-blistering chili, I'd listen! At some point, I'm pretty sure we'll do some controlled punishment testing, but we just launched, and I've got my hands full.  So carry Coda with confidence, but --for now-- I don't want to incite anyone to throw Coda against a brick wall or drive over it with their monster truck on purpose.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:04:55 pm by Karl Ahrens »

Zero

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 07:01:25 pm »
Thanks, good to know. As long as it can survive being dropped, rained on and generally knocked about, that's good enough for me!

Ric

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 06:07:04 pm »
“I quickly gave up the slam-it-against-the-concrete method of opening them up in favor of sawing them in half 1st so I could cut them with clippers and rip the parts apart with pliers.”

:o??

Remind me not to ever make Karl angry!  ;D

Roderick

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 06:21:25 pm »
“I quickly gave up the slam-it-against-the-concrete method of opening them up in favor of sawing them in half 1st so I could cut them with clippers and rip the parts apart with pliers.”

:o??

;D ;D ;D LOL!
English is not my native tongue, pardon any mistake. ;)

Zero

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 09:36:06 pm »
*takes notes in case my Coda ever becomes possessed by an evil spirit and I have to destroy it*

Armisis Aieoln

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 02:06:54 am »
Brilliant thank you all and so nice to be back! :) And So glad to see Coda now out to the world! Congratulations!!!

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 03:21:23 pm »

Yeah, apparently the local mob saw that post about my work with pliers too.  Some guy with a Jersey accent just called to offer me some part-time work in, uh, "customer relations" and "debt collections." I was appalled and offended! (I mean, The 401K plan was a joke.) ;)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:23:12 pm by Karl Ahrens »

PERRO

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 03:38:46 pm »
Hi everyone,  I'm a complete "NEWBY, with " ZERO " experience using any type of musical instruments. I picked up two CODA's, one for myself & another for the Wifey. She has some past experience playing a " Recorder " as a teenager.

I've been reading the previous post on the " CODA's  " durability. I had an old cellphone pouch laying around, which I now plan to carry my personal " CODA " as extra protection.

I also had some paracord lying around & decided to make myself a Lynard.

As I've grown older, I hate carrying anything inside of my pockets. And my eyesight is going downhill  ( Font Size ) :o

EDIT: A few more detailed photos:

I added a bead to the belt clip, which will secure it better, as I plan to carry it around my Neck, when in use.

The Bead will help keep the Paracord from slipping out of the belt clip.

Packaged for safe storage carry, inside my pack.

Or attached to my " EDC Saddleback Leather Satchel ".
  8)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:15:04 am by PERRO »