Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Toward a More Coda Christmas  (Read 3336 times)

Hymn Player

Toward a More Coda Christmas
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:59:00 am »
For those of you who might already have the book "Favorite Carols in Easy Keys" especially suited to Mountain Ocarinas compiled adapted by Karl Ahrens, I just want to remind you of what this gem contains.  You may recall that on the left-hand page can be found a carol written in "concert" pitch for let's say an MO C, while on the right-hand sides is music transposed so that an MO G could be played at the same time as the MO C.  Well it turns out that much of the music on the RH page allows you to practice the dual chambers of the Coda while playing Christmas carols! The same is true of the first songs in the Coda book, but the Carol book has many more carols to enjoy for the Christmas season.

Merry Christmas!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Karl Ahrens

Re: Toward a More Coda Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 11:14:03 am »
For those of you who might already have the book "Favorite Carols in Easy Keys" especially suited to Mountain Ocarinas compiled adapted by Karl Ahrens, I just want to remind you of what this gem contains.  You may recall that on the left-hand page can be found a carol written in "concert" pitch for let's say an MO C, while on the right-hand sides is music transposed so that an MO G could be played at the same time as the MO C.  Well it turns out that much of the music on the RH page allows you to practice the dual chambers of the Coda while playing Christmas carols! The same is true of the first songs in the Coda book, but the Carol book has many more carols to enjoy for the Christmas season.

Hymn Player, thank you for mentioning that--and for reminding me of this!

Yes, Favorite Carols in Easy Keys is a fantastic learning aid for new Coda players. I remember being excited about this a long time ago, but then I just plain forgot. (Before I go on about this, I understand and empathize with the fact that some of you aren't interested in Christmas carols, so please bear with our excitement.)

1st, the 20 carols in the book are beautiful and wonderful to play. And, eventually, playing them can be a great way to encourage and serve others.

2nd, it's easier to learn a new set of fingerings when you learn using songs that you already know by heart. Music teachers often like carols because music students will play "way over their heads" with carols. This is possible because the students can easily correct themselves since they know what the correct notes should sound like.

3rd, you can play all of the carols in the book in 2 different keys (in a lower key and in a key a 5th higher) which is not only fun but is great practice for learning your sharps and flats within familiar songs.

4th, finally, as Hymn player mentioned, it gives you lots of practice with chamber switching!

Now I'm not sure what to do.  Susan tells me that we have 107 Favorite Carols in Easy Keys books in stock, but I'm not thinking so much about selling you these books because it's December 21st already.

If we could get this book in PDF format, how many of you would be interested in a free copy? Maybe we'd send you (who have purchased a Coda) a private link to the book or something.

If you see this post, please let me know because I'd have to move quickly if this is to happen this year.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:16:08 am by Karl Ahrens »

laharl666

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 12:19:33 pm »
Bonjour Karl,
Un exemplaire gratuit rempli de belles mélodies de noël?
Je suis très intéressé!!!
Ce serait un beau cadeau que vous nous feriez!!! :)

"Hello Karl,
A free copy filled with beautiful Christmas melodies?
I am very interested!!!
It would be a nice gift that you would make us !!!"  :)

markroedel

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 12:40:59 pm »
Agree with @laharl666 - the pdf would make a lovely gift!

willfcc

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 02:40:42 pm »
Free pdf?

Uhhhh...Yes, please!

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 03:46:09 pm »
Once again, thanks to Hymn Player for pointing out the wonderful Coda/Carols book connection, and thanks to laharl666, markroedel, and willfcc for responding so quickly. We have the Favorite Carols in Easy Keys book in PDF, we're removing the sections not related to Coda, and we're busy planning how we can share these carols asap for free with those of you who have purchased a Coda.

It goes without saying (even though I somehow feel compelled to say it :D) that this is copyrighted material, so please don't post it on the internet, publish whatever link we send you, etc.

The twenty carols are all in three versions. Version 1 is in a lower key, version 2 is in a key that's a fifth higher than version 1, and version 3 is written one octave lower than version 2.   You can only play versions 1 and 2 on Coda. 

However, if you so desire, you can use version 3 to practice transposing songs up one octave. This is not a bad skill to develop someday because some music (for male vocalists, for example) is playable on Coda but is written an octave lower than you are used to reading.

Enough said, I've got to get back to figuring out how to get these carols to you ASAP!

Hymn Player

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 03:52:43 pm »
I would certainly like to get  a copy of the carols pdf!  :) 
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

He-Bear

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 04:30:59 pm »
This is awesome! Thanks, Karl!!!

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 06:45:32 pm »
Be on the lookout for a link to the Carols book in your email sometime tonight!  And now, I have to run to be with my family.

Roderick

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:07:48 pm »
Be on the lookout for a link to the Carols book in your email sometime tonight!  And now, I have to run to be with my family.

Email sent already! Please check your inbox (or spam folder in any case).  ;)

I hope you enjoy it.

Merry Christmas!
English is not my native tongue, pardon any mistake. ;)

Harp Player

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 01:02:07 am »
Wow I forget to log on for a day, and all of this happens.  Thanks Karl.  I think I have that book somewhere,  but electronic format is great as well.

I would suggest to people on here that Hymnals have many songs that can easily be played on the MO, and many more that can be played on the CODA.   I know that not everyone is interested in playing Christian music but Hymnals are a great resource for those that are.

Also if you are interested in folk tunes you can find an almost unlimited supply of them in ABC notation, which can easily be converted to standard music notation by various programs.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://abcnotation.com/
http://www.mandolintab.net/     Note: this site has an online converter.
http://www.joe-offer.com/folkinfo/

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:45:53 am by Harp Player »

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 01:23:32 am »
Harp Player thanks for your efforts.
I love all music if good :)
Hymns def. formed my music mentality growing up in a southern Baptist church.
Anything you can .pdf for me would be most appreciated.
Crown Him with Many Thorns please :)

Harp Player

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 01:28:28 am »
I will see if I can get Crown him with many Crowns for you in PDF.  My old scanner should convert it for me.  Do you prefer shape notes or regular notation?

laharl666

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 03:35:17 am »

Email sent already! Please check your inbox (or spam folder in any case).  ;)

I hope you enjoy it.

Merry Christmas!

Bonjour Roderick,
aucun message reçu... J'ai vérifié partout...   :(
Peux-tu le renvoyer s'il te plait?
merci beaucoup!!!   :)

"Hello Roderick,
no message received ... I checked everywhere ...   :(
Can you send it back please?
thank you so much!!!  :)  "     

d102

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 04:59:37 am »
Many thanks Karl for the gift of the Christmas Carols, I purchased the book many years ago but it is really useful to just be able to print off the carol you are interested in.  The pages then stays flat and even better is full page size for my ageing eyes rather than the much smaller book size.

Lovely gift to all your fans, thank you Karl and family.

My new Coda has now made it to the local post office, will it make it here by Christmas Day ?  Maybe, import duties still have to be paid which slows everything down.

Happy Christmas to all wherever in the world you may be and best wishes on a peaceful time for those that do not celebrate this festival.